The subject for each competition is in the Schedule. This will either be a set theme (e.g. “Summer” or “The Colour Red”) or be an “Open Night” where an image on any subject can be entered. The purpose of having subject/themes and open nights is for our members to have fun by enjoying their photography, encouraging to share their experiences, learn new skills and to challenge and grow their creativity.
Evaluation by guest photographer
An invited experienced guest photographer will evaluate and critique the images presented on the night, and interact with our club members by discussing their images with them. They will use their skills and knowledge to talk about each image with their own reactions, emotions and questions and will invite our IWPS members to participate in a group discussion in order to achieve a meaningful dialogue about the images under review.
The guest speaker and group feedback on our critique night will help and inspire not only the individual photographer but also the wider IWPS membership.
The IWPS has two categories for critique nights: digital and print. All members are eligible to enter a maximum of four (4) images for digital and four (4) images for print that address the the theme of the critique, making a maximum of eight (8) images per member per month.
Critique nights will have two types of award:
- The Guest Favourite Award: the guest photographer will choose three (3) of their favourite images for digital and three (3) of their favourite prints – six (6) images in total.
- Members Choice Award: members will be given a ballot card at the beginning of the meeting to record their three (3) favourite digital images and three (3) favourite prints – six (6) images in total.
Award point system
- Each participating member will receive one (1) point for entering one (1) image or more on the critique night.
- The Guest Favourite Award will receive four (4) points for each favourite image awarded.
- The Members Choice Award will award four (4) points for a Gold, three (3) points for a Silver and two (2) points for a Bronze – these awards are tallied up by an executive committee member from the members ballot cards collected that night.
Digital entries should be emailed to the Competition Secretary no later than the Sunday night prior to the club meeting, print entries can be brought along on the night. Remember to check the critique/competition rules for information about the sizes of photos allowed, and the file naming and sizing guide.
End of year awards
These awards recognise the creative excellence and participation throughout the year.
The annual category winners are announced at our end of year Christmas dinner in December. These awards are decided by the total number of awarded points received by each member in each category throughout the year.
Top Shot of the Year: this night of image excellence is held in November where a presentation of all awarded images (i.e. ‘The Guest Favourite Awards’, the ‘Members Choice Awards’), as well as images presented on our Portfolio Presentation night and all other digital and print images presented on IWPS critique nights can be entered. This is limited to up to five (5) digital and five (5) print entries from each financial member.
IWPS will have a special invited guest photographer to critique/evaluate and award the ‘Top Shot of the Year’, while IWPS members will vote for the ‘Members Choice Award of the Year’.
How to submit your work
The following competition rules should be understood by all members when preparing to enter club competitions/critiques.
There is a template available for download to produce the labels required on the back of each print entry submitted. This comes in two versions:
- PDF Labels Template, for those who prefer to hand write the details on the labels.
- MS Word Labels Template, for those who prefer to print the details on the labels.
There is also a template available for download to create the Entry Form required for all entries submitted. This also comes in two versions: